It's a good pack - especially if you're into lightweight hiking. Do you have previous backpacking experience? Knowing that will help us give you relevant advice. (I'm from southwest Ohio, and work frequently in northeast Ohio.)

I had been using the almost-4-pound Osprey Kestrel 48 for my 19 - 20 pound weekend loads. I've flushed out all the weight I want to from my other gear; the last piece of gear I'll be experimenting with is the pack. My first choice is to try a Talon 44, which will put my load in the 18 - 19 pound range, depending on the specific trip. I've taken it, loaded, around the block a few times, and so far, so good. I'm hoping to give it a weekend trial later this month.

I'd definitely keep the pack. It will definitely force you along the ultralight curve as you pick the rest of your gear, but it sounds like you're headed that way anyhow. Usually, the recommendation is other gear first, pack last - but it sounds like the pack will fit into your plans pretty well. (If you're truly into "hyperlight" backpacking, it will make a good starter pack, though you'll eventually go with something frameless and probably smaller.)