If I'm in a hammock, the pack and extra clothes get hung from one end. There's usually not much left once everything's set up for the night.

In a tent my pack goes at my feet and extra clothes go in a stuff sack to be a pillow.

The 10 essentials usually stay with the pack either way. Pot and stove sit out ready for breakfast. Shoes go in the vestibule or on the ground alongside the hammock, waiting for me to swing my feet out into them. Light usually goes in my sun hat, with my camera, wallet and biner that carries my Micra, whistle and emergency LED light on it. If I have fishing gear it usually sits out too.

I only worry about theft in very heavily used areas, such as Yosemite between 4 - 15 miles from the trailhead. And the trekking poles never get put on the ground anymore, since the marmots chewed off the handles once. They dangle from the hammock suspension or some convenient branch.

http://hikeandbackpack.com