IMO, the upgrades people make are economic or skill/knowledge based. many have described some of the heavy stuff they used in their younger days. This was not because lighter or higher quality wasn't available, it was due to the cost of those items. Many used military surplus stuff from WWII or before because they could get it cheap, not because it was lightweight. The same adage used today was true back then; light, quality, cheap; choose two. When people upgrade something it isn't always because better wasn't available in the past, it was because in the past they couldn't afford the higher quality. Franco mentioned photography. My father was/is a photographer. Back in the 60's there was a certain type of lens he always dreamed of getting (I am not a photographer so it is all greek to me) but it was so cost prohibitive. For decades he used what he could afford because it was "good enough" and he was able to get by with it. Just recently he bought one of those lenses even though he is retired. He could now afford it. he raves about the quality, but it wasn't new technology it was unavailable in the 60's to him due to cost. When I was a kid, there were lightweight sleeping bags made with down available. There were two reasons i din't get one. First was cost, the second was I was a 6 year old kid who couldn't be trusted to not destroy an expensive piece of gear. So I got a cheaper heavier bag which my dad didn't get as upset when it got soaked and muddy.

I think Jim is exhibit A. High quality light weight gear has been available for many years, in some cases it was cost prohibitive and in others it is due to the lack of knowledge and skill of the user... they just can't handle it as a young kid.