I sort of introduced a straw man or two in there, still I don't feel guilty about that...(well not with an old timer like Jim, I would with a new one)
I am actually happy that the gear Jim has works for him and he likes it or even loves it, I am all for that.
One thing that drives me nuts is people that always just put negative comments or are never happy with anything.
At the same time I spent 30 years in camera retail hearing about how cameras used to be better but also constantly selling new cameras/lenses/flashguns and so on to the Pros because they needed to remain up to par.
(speed and quality)
Outdoor gear is the same...
My walking mate was for years raving on about is pack from the 70's(you know good enough to carry 70 lbs) his Bibler Fitzroy or even an heavier older contraption, his leather boots , his 5 lbs synthetic sleeping bag , Coleman fire thrower and so on .
Trouble is that as unfit as I am compared to him, he was struggling a bit going uphill .
Now he has an ULA Circuit, one of those tarp tents, Salomon runners, a WM sb and a JetBoil Sol. Unfortunately he is now too fast for me on the steep uphill bits.
Franco