Jim,

I didn't realize my grin over a hike in the snow came so clearly through the computer. I'm plotzing here. (Did I mention I was carrying my older brother so his shoes wouldn't get wet?)

Traditionalists like to cook their steak right on the coals and don't use no stinkin' aluminum foil when baking their potato in the coals. The only thing to drink with the steak is Heinekin, or perhaps wine from their old wineskin. (Remember when all the skiers had wineskins?) In the morning, they stir the hot coffee grounds right in the pot and filter the grounds out with their teeth, spitting them on the fire.

After tonight, I'm sold on boots. I'd rather be comfortable than maybe go slightly faster. I don't have 18 pairs though. Just one perfect pair.

We aren't afraid to shoot a snot rocket when someone is looking and we know how to crap in the woods without making a big deal about it.

Still, for all the talk, there is a balance for me. I have some modern things and some old things. I'll change if the modern item really is better. Lately, I'm also insisting it not be made in China.