As a scoutmaster, I spend a lot of time teaching fire craft. I think I have learned more from the scouts than I have taught them. Here are some things that they have taught me.

Don't assume they know how to use a lighter. They need to practice with it.
Matches aren't a guarantee. They break and scouts have a hard time learning how to use them.
The ferro rods that are popular with bushcrafters are hard to light for boy scouts.
Scouts almost never collect enough tinder and small wood to start the big stuff. They also have a really hard time telling the difference between dry wood and wet wood.

It takes a lot of repetition to teach boy scouts just about anything, and fire craft is no exception. My older scouts are starting to get it after a few years of teaching the same things over and over. And, they still make the same mistakes over and over again.

So, how well are you with fire craft? Can you start a fire with a lighter in really cold weather, and no man-made tinder? Can you start a one match fire? Can you start a fire with a ferro rod? If you can, then excellent. But, since you are asking this, then I would guess that you are weak on these skills. You need to learn them, and you can then teach your son. It is even better if you learn together.