There is more to lighting a fire than just the equipment. Expertise and experience is crucial. Have your son practice, practice and then practice some more. Simulate adverse conditions, get some experience, and learn what works in the wind and the rain.

It begins with choosing a good location, sheltered from wind in particular, collecting the right materials, selecting good fire starter/tinder material, and nursing the flame until you have a healthy, self-sustaining fire.

You want to have multiple options for starting fire; don't depend on just one tool. There is nothing out there that is infallible. You can assemble a good system for very little money that will be easy to carry at all times. Bic lighter, kitchen matches in a waterproof container w/dry striker, and some sort of metal match/strike-a-light. The cost of tinder is also negligible. These all make good stocking stuffers at Xmas.

As it turns out, I used plain old kitchen matches to light the really critical fires that I needed to light. With a waterproof container, the total cost was well under a dollar.

Ultimately, the best way to insure heat when you really, really need it is to carry a stove and fuel. I spent an unanticipated night in deep snow and if I had not had a light gasoline stove with me, at the very least I would not be sporting all my digits these days. Again, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get good dependable stove. I would recommend a Trangia or a Pocket Rocket - at most about $45 with fuel.

This topic really lights my fire so to speak. My first SAR experience involved a search for some Boy Scouts who were unsuccessful in their efforts to light a fire during a storm - definitely a needless tragedy.

But don't focus on gadgets. Make sure they put in the time to really learn how to light a fire when the chips are down.