Hi Jim,

I've relied on some variation for pretty much all my winter camping (swapping the individual bits as time went on, going back as far as ensolite). With the particular pad and mattress I have in mind, I'd rely on them to single digits with no hesitation, and probably to zero or beyond--but I haven't been that (un)lucky.

I always use a short pad for 3 seasons, along with a pillow of clothes and a jacket &/or pack under my feet, so I'm used to it. My current foam pad is a POE (model unknown) that's quite warm by itself, so even on snow I'm not going to get cold. The downside is it's a roll-up pad that has to go outside the pack. It weighs less than a pound. FWIW Z-rests simply aren't warm enough for me.

The standard Neoair is good to 20 by itself. It's more comfortable and warmer than a BA insulated Air Core. I don't yet know anybody with a Neoair all season but I'll take them at their word on the uprated R-value.
After three seasons mine has had zero failures.

Cheers,
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
RickD thanks for that. How cold of weather have you used this combination in. You would only have a closed cell foam pad under your legs? As I said I always carry the fan fold CF pad anyway, but I would NEVER consider it as a primary insulation for serious winter work.

I think in the winter - the insulation under you should not be skimped on for weight savings. This is why I carried a 27 ounce down air mattress DAM for 20 years, but the valve assembly on the warmlights is prone to failure in deep cold and I've torn 2 out. Maybe I need to put a custom filler valve on my old DAM.
Jim