Originally Posted By skcreidc
Bill, as soon as you mentioned this...I thought of this video I saw last year. Its the "super shelter" set up for hammock.

super shelter for hammock

That's the one I first saw. I think the "Dual Survivor" show may have aired before that video was posted, but until finallyME posted the link to it, I hadn't seen it.

The shelter design I used is very similar to a "baker tent". I think that's a pretty good shelter design. It is very roomy inside. and the baker tent is even more so. I am sure that the baker tent would retain heat with the front closed off with canvas, but I do think the mylar does help keep more heat in than without it. I haven't tested that though.

I'd like to make a small baker tent out of silnylon. I can see where it might suck on the side of a barren mountain, but it's really a good design for here in the Ozark's forests.

I mentioned that I would keep the fire burning for about 6 hours before I went to bed, and then the coals would continue to heat the shelter for some time after that, so another thing to consider is that while the space inside the tent is being heated the ground under the tent is being heated too, and it's going to store and release that heat back into the tent as soon as the air inside it is cooler than the ground. (At least that sounds good to me wink )

But that's not the only design that would benefit from a reflective material on the ceiling and back walls. I'd think this standard "Diamond" set up would work well too. And you really don't need to rig a closed front to benefit from the reflective material.

For the added weight of some simple attachment points on a tarp to hold up one or two SOL emergency blankets when you'd want to, it seems to me that's it's almost a no-brainer to include them. If you rig the tarp so it's not far above you, and blocks the wind, you are going to stay warmer.

Same thing for a hammock under quilt. Why would you not rig a way to drape one of those SOL blankets under your under quilt? Especially if you're already carrying an emergency blanket? There is no doubt that your quilt would retain more heat, and, in this case, moisture wouldn't be an issue at all.

Honestly, after experimenting with these reflective materials a bit, I think that, to a large degree, they have been ignored by backpackers. I suspect this has to do with the initial problems of moisture build-up and the bad reputation just got stuck. That's a serious problem, but it gives cause to look into the roots of that problem, and possible solutions to it, not cause to ditch the concept all together. It has way too much potential for that.

It's likely that there are already solutions out there for our problems with these materials, but created for a different purpose. Check out this stuff.

That might be a better blanket right there. Nothing to invent, nothing to design or manufacture, it's pretty darn cheap, and it's just sitting there waiting to be used.

I don't know anyone that's tried it...

"You want to go where?"