Originally Posted By JimShaw
I do not find a lot of merit in the super shelter concept.

HeHe... You old curmudgeon, I was sooo waiting for something like that laugh

Well, as you said, it was fun to make, and yes, its merits are certainly limited to the time and place that's right to use it.

But then, merit might also be found in the style which you might use it. If you're doing 2-3 nights at a base camp, it might be pretty nice. I think it'd make a great shelter for hunting trips.

Quote:
There would be too much dependance on maintaining a fire...

The idea is not necessarily to keep you toasty warm all night. That's not really practical. The idea is to warm you while you twiddle away those long evenings, and warm you again on those frosty mornings. However, if you had to keep warm all night, I think a strong case can be made that you'd use less fuel and be warmer inside that shelter.

Quote:
and lastly depending on the structure not to fail.

That's a pretty simple rigging, and time tested, even with the fire in front of it. There's not much new to fail.

Quote:
Looks like fun though...

That's really why I tried it. It is fun.

You know, crawling into a warm sleeping bag when it's below freezing out has some merit. Crawling into a cold sleeping bag is one of the toughest parts of backpacking here. I'd love to figure out how not to have to be that tough wink

"You want to go where?"