Originally Posted By OldScout
And with a little more wind than expected and sparks and ambers blowing against the tent, it will be real warm real fast. Unless I'm missing something here, why would anyone in their right mind try this????? (Plus, the wind could sift and blow the heat away from the tent.)

Oh, come on now...

First, visqueen is not really very flammable.

Second, the NOAA hourly wind forecasts are pretty darn accurate. ( For the record, here is the local historical weather data for the timeframe I did this.)

Third, here, when you're in a steep, sheltered, forested hollow, wind is seldom an issue even when it is blowing on the ridges. (If you can make it here I'll show you.)

Fourth, it is radiant heat that warms the shelter. Wind does not blow away radiant heat. That's why the inside of your car still warms with the sun on a cold windy day.

Finally, doesn't all you say apply to sleeping in any tent when even one campfire hasn't been completely extinguished within miles of you?

But, let me add a disclaimer....

If your the kind of person that would start a fire next to your tent with the wind blowing the smoke and ash and sparks and embers hard at your tent, don't even think about trying this, in fact, don't start any fires anywhere (seriously, don't even light your stovetop burners at home).

"You want to go where?"