Quote:
"With shoes, I average 3.6 mph on roads without stressing. With the boots I average 3.9 mph. On trails with the boots, I average about 2.9 mph with the boots. (As measured by GPS.) The boots are simply easier to walk with for me. Modern combat boots are much different than the old black ones. The ones I have are designed with a sole that takes the impact and transfers the energy to the next step. It's something I can really feel."

Hopefully not too much thread drift here (and apologies if so), but that's quite interesting. I certainly know that individual variances and preferences can be quite far apart, but it kind of blows my mind that you walk faster on roads in any sort of boot than you do in shoes. I imagine in part it depends on what shoes and what boots are being compared, but still.

I'm not questioning your data here (!), it's just a bit of a surprising conclusion for me. In part, it's because trail runners (shoes) tend to be lighter weight, and I would think would typically provide more energy transfer than a typical boot.
I guess maybe DARPA has been spending some of our tax money to good effect if current issue combat boots are that good!