Hey there! I'd say that 30 pounds is far more than you need, especially for a single night. My pack for an overnight generally weighs 8 pounds. And- wait for it- that's counting at least one book. Not always a paperback one either! Now, I realize that I've probably got some ultralight gear that you don't since I've been doing this for a while. Lighter pack, lighter tent, lighter sleeping bag and pad, lighter stove- but a lot of this can be substituted. I promise you have way more than you'll ever use or need in that bag if you put in 30 pounds. (Also, I'm a young woman, so my clothes are probably smaller and lighter, which is definitely significant). Food- only the lightest possible. And don't even think about keeping it in the original packaging. Oh, no. Ziplocs are far lighter. Plus it's rare that you'll eat an entire package of something. Just pack exactly what you need. You can make a super light stove out of a soda or beer can. I believe there are kits online for this, or you can just make it at home. Fuel tablets and lighters are the way to go- *not* liquid or gas containers. Clothes? You don't need much. Walk in wearing a shirt, pants, socks, underwear, and a coat. Pack extra socks and underwear, and an extra shirt. Pack a very very small first aid kit with a few band-aids, any meds, antiseptic, and that's about it. Oh, and for a tent, if you don't own an ultralight (I highly recommend that if you get into backpacking, you buy one) then you can just bring a tarp and string. Put it up between two trees. It sounds really grueling but it's absolutely not. I was comfortable in it, and when I'm in civilization I'm a primadonna. And I'm also one of those incredible psychos who shaves the margins off of maps and cuts tags off clothing in the hopes it'll drop half an ounce total. EVERYTHING counts.

There's no reason not to go ultralight. I've always done it. Once I tried to pack a bag up to "normal" weight just to see what it was like and honestly I found myself throwing arbitrary items in. In the end I just put three hardcover Harry Potter books in and made it up to 30 pounds, but obviously there's no reason for that. Plus it was so cumbersome... I couldn't walk as far or enjoy it as much. People think they look tougher with these gigantic packs, but really you'll be tougher if you learn to go without all that stuff. And you will enjoy backpacking so much more because you can go farther without putting the wear and tear on your body. Imagine hiking 10 miles with a 30 pound pack, only to stop at a vista and not be able to appreciate it because of an aching back. I'd rather hike 20 miles with an 8 pound pack and enjoy the view when I get there!

If you're doing this for exercise purposes, of course, my whole post is moot. And in which case I highly recommend hardcover HP books to pack on weight. smile

Good luck and happy trails!

*Edit* WOW I just re-read your reply in the thread and realized it said 60 pounds! Holy crap! That's like carrying a child on your back! Yeah, that's fine for a mile or so, but the best part of backpacking is doing a 60 mile loop in three days. It makes you feel like you've seriously accomplished something (especially when you start thinking about how far 60 miles is in terms of places you usually drive... I mean, that's like walking across the entire state of Rhode Island and then some!). Walking five miles with a heavy backpack doesn't feel like an achievement, or not as much of one, anyway; it just feels like... pain.

I like exertion. Walking briskly up steep hillsides. I dislike pain- a big pack chafing arms or making my shoulders ache. That's not fun.

Edited by drasticgame (12/01/11 06:47 PM)