Merlyn,

Long Walk fever seems to be going around. A lot of people are catching it.

That cart is a pretty good idea. It looks like a modified baby jogger. Schwinn makes a very good one, but it's not real cheap. But you can generally find a model on Craig's list that will work for $50 to $100. Be sure to get one with a brake or it will be a hassle going downhill.

I'm helping a very experienced long distance hiker plan a very long trip. Nevada is the limiting factor now. There is one stretch of 113 miles without water.

Once you find a place with water, give them a call. First to make sure they are still open. And secondly, they may know of a place that's not on the map.

Walking on the interstate is out. You will get a ticket even in the middle of nowhere. However, you can head over 160 by the Grand Canyon and then south to Garrison, Az. From there, there are secondary roads near the interstate all the way to Kingman. There is one 5 mile stretch where the roads aren't on the map, but Google satellite shows a dirt road next to the interstate.

I'd suggest you start walking 10 miles a day starting today and until 2 weeks before you leave. Then you will find if your body can do this. There are things that may not show up in the first week or so.

I'm one of those who finds walking on roads to be interesting. It's just different. It's also more challenging for resupply than the long trails seem to be.

Enjoy the planning and be careful.