I'm not familiar with Byers, but I can't imagine it being so small that you're spilling out of it being no larger than you are. I'm just under 6' and 200 pounds, and I've never run out of room on either the ENO singlenest that I used initially, or the Clark Ultralight that I have now.

As far as set-up hassles, one of the reasons I chose a Clark is the all-in-one design. The bug netting is permanently attached and fully zippered and the sil-nylon fly is easily detached with two clips. I can hang it in about 3 minutes with a simple bowline knot in each tree rope. About another 3 minutes or so to stake out the fly. Total weight is just under 3 pounds. I can't imagine getting that much comfort on the ground for the same weight.

I initially wanted to give hammocks a try for the reasons you listed: no shortage of places to hang in the woods, no worries about roots, rocks, creepy crawlies, finding a flat spot, or drainage from heavy rain. After sleeping better the first night in a hammock than I ever did on the ground, I was hooked.