Originally Posted By BZH

Why do you want a bivy and a tent? If you have a fully enclosed tent why would you need a bivy? Also, you will find that backpackers have come up with much better equipment than the military. Check out www.tarptent.com for a tent. Get a down sleeping bag or quilt and and a pad. A tarptent, quilt, and lightweight pad would probably weigh less than that military sleep system.

I'll take a look. The bivy just happens to come with the sleep system. I used one pretty extensively in my brief Army career and was pretty impressed with them. If there are better options - I am not wedded to that particular bag.

Quote:

I would suggest backcountry first-aid training

I have some first aid training (Army, volunteer fire fighter once upon a time). Specifically what additional information should I be pursuing?

Quote:

Check out alcohol stoves

Will do

Quote:
Why fixed blade?

I just generally prefer fixed blade knives. Back when I lived in South Texas and spent a lot of time in the woods, I always carried 2 knives- one fixed blade and one pocket knife.

Quote:

I definitely agree with the above advice to get out there and try this before you commit to it. And look at various gear lists available on the web specially thru hikers lists.

Thanks!

Merlyn