Originally Posted By Merlyn

Here's what I got so far (no brands/models... I am still researching that)

1: Internal Frame backpack, 5000+ CI
2: Army issue 4 part sleep system (http://www.amazon.com/Military-Modular-Sleep-System-Goretex/dp/B002LLPILC)
3: Lightweight 1-2 person tent (with a bottom - if I can seal my tent at night, I stand less of a chance of waking up with a rattlesnake on my chest)

Why do you want a bivy and a tent? If you have a fully enclosed tent why would you need a bivy? Also, you will find that backpackers have come up with much better equipment than the military. Check out www.tarptent.com for a tent. Get a down sleeping bag or quilt and and a pad. A tarptent, quilt, and lightweight pad would probably weigh less than that military sleep system.

4: First Aid/field trauma kit

I would suggest backcountry first-aid training

5: Camp stove (butane?)

Check out alcohol stoves

6: Minimal cooking set (pot and a pan) for wild greens and maybe the occasional rabbit
7: Clothing (2-3 changes of clothes and a coat?)
8: stuff sack for #7, doubles as a pillow
9: Food (I was thinking 6 days worth at a time, since decent trail food or even MREs is not something you can pick up at the flying J truckstop)
10: Water (1 3L camelback full at all times, with a second one on hand I can fill up if I hit a spot where the next town/gas station is more than a day's walk away)
11: More water (canteen for food prep and brushing my teeth and such)
12: Rain poncho
13: Compass
14: Knife (fixed blade)

Why fixed blade?

15: E-Tool
16: Sewing Kit

a couple needles and dental floss

17: Solar charger for my cell phone/ipod

its almost always cheaper and lighter to carry spare batteries

18: Water purification gadget
19: Water purification pills as backup
20: magnesium firestarter
21: Towel
22: Flashlight
23: 550 cord (50'?)

That's what I can think of so far. How far off base am I?

Thanks!
Merlyn

I definitely agree with the above advice to get out there and try this before you commit to it. And look at various gear lists available on the web specially thru hikers lists.