Route planning.. that's been this week's project, and it's something I am going to keep refining until I walk out the door, most likely.

I was planning on following I25 S from Raton to Albuquerque, and then I-40 to Kingman, AZ, where I pick up 95, which I can follow almost to Reno. I won't be able to walk along the interstate in town, but I can't imagine even the most zealous DPS trooper hassling me much when I am out in the boonies between towns. I am currently figuring out a secondary road route now though, just in case.

As for distance between towns, the longest stretch I have found so far is just under 80 miles, or about 3 days. I am still microscoping the route with google maps looking for a longer stretch than that.

Water is what I am most worried about. I want to try to avoid ever having to carry more than 2 gallons at any point. If I can't get from one water source to another in 72 hours, I am going to have to re-route.

I am spending a lot of my prep time doing things like route planning and mapping supply points. Probably too much time... I need to walk more and plan less :: grin ::

Thanks!
Merlyn