Good morning, everyone!

So I hope this is in the right place- I'm (real) new to backpacking...

I am planning a very extended walk (several months) come the first of the year, and I would very much appreciate some gear suggestions.

I'll be primarily following the road, except for the occasional side trip to go see things (Hey THAT looks cool!).

I'll be starting off in the desert SW (just south of Raton, NM) and spending the rest of the winter in NM, AZ and NV. I expect to hit California in early/mid spring near Reno.

I am more concerned about overall cost than I am about weight - but since I am going to be on the road a while, quality is paramount. I'll carry a few extra pounds to save a few bucks, but everything I buy has to LAST.

I've been reading on here all morning, and I have already decided against the military MOLLE II ruck I was going to buy in favor of a decent internal frame pack. I'm thinking I'd rather have a more comfortable pack than a claymore mine pocket.

I am working up a preliminary gear list now (that's today's project) and any suggestions you folks could offer along the lines of things I'll need and haven't thought of, or have on my list and won't need would be greatly appreciated. Brands/models and why you favor them would be handy, too.

Here's what I got so far (no brands/models... I am still researching that)

1: Internal Frame backpack, 5000+ CI
2: Army issue 4 part sleep system (http://www.amazon.com/Military-Modular-Sleep-System-Goretex/dp/B002LLPILC)
3: Lightweight 1-2 person tent (with a bottom - if I can seal my tent at night, I stand less of a chance of waking up with a rattlesnake on my chest)
4: First Aid/field trauma kit
5: Camp stove (butane?)
6: Minimal cooking set (pot and a pan) for wild greens and maybe the occasional rabbit
7: Clothing (2-3 changes of clothes and a coat?)
8: stuff sack for #7, doubles as a pillow
9: Food (I was thinking 6 days worth at a time, since decent trail food or even MREs is not something you can pick up at the flying J truckstop)
10: Water (1 3L camelback full at all times, with a second one on hand I can fill up if I hit a spot where the next town/gas station is more than a day's walk away)
11: More water (canteen for food prep and brushing my teeth and such)
12: Rain poncho
13: Compass
14: Knife (fixed blade)
15: E-Tool
16: Sewing Kit
17: Solar charger for my cell phone/ipod
18: Water purification gadget
19: Water purification pills as backup
20: magnesium firestarter
21: Towel
22: Flashlight
23: 550 cord (50'?)

That's what I can think of so far. How far off base am I?

Thanks!
Merlyn

Edited by Merlyn (11/15/11 10:02 AM)