Don't give up on the pack just yet. Sometimes, it just takes a couple of trips for the pack to adjust to you, and you to adjust to the pack. Gregory has a very good reputation for packs, and I think the Deva series is supposed to be designed specifically for women.

However, you might want to review how you were using the pack. A few things to consider:

1) How did you have the pack loaded? If you had the weight riding too low, it might have pulled the shoulder straps downward against your shoulders. If you had the weight high, but too far away from your back, it might have pulled the straps back against your shoulders.

2) How tight did you have the load lifters (those little straps that run from the back to the upper part of the shoulder straps)? Too loose, and they let the load pull backward. Too tight, and they might let the straps have too much play in the shoulders (and they then rub.) Also, some packs allow you to adjust the point where the load lifter attaches to the shoulder strap. Usually, I find them most comfortable if the attachment point is just forward of the top of my shoulders, but not on my collarbone.

3) How tight did you keep the shoulder straps? I usually try to keep them loose enough that I can just slip my little finger between the strap and my shoulder. It keeps the weight just off my shoulders, but the straps aren't so loose they move around. It also means that I have successfully transferred nearly all the weight to my hips, which means the shoulders won't get as tired.

4) In connection with the shoulder straps, play with the sternum strap. Move it up and down from the pre-set position, and play with the tightness. I find the strap is most comfortable just above the widest part of my chest, and pulled snug but not tight - it pulls the shoulder straps just a tiny bit more toward each other than they are with the sternum strap undone. If everything else is set up right, you'll actually feel the change in how the shoulder straps contact your shoulders. It shouldn't be so tight that it restricts your breathing.

5) Is the torso length properly adjusted? Too long, and the shoulder straps and load lifters won't wrap over your shoulders - and you'll end up pulling them too tight in order to compensate for the poor fit. Too short, and there won't be any way to get the load off your shoulders. Your pack should have come with instructions on adjusting the suspension length; if not, try looking on the Gregory website or go back to the store where you bought it and see if they can help you tweak the fit. I'm assuming that the Deva has an adjustable suspension; if it doesn't, you may need to get a different pack if torso length is a problem.

Playing with the load lifters, sternum strap, and shoulder straps for tightness is mostly trial-and-error; there's no way to tell you what will be the sweet spot for you. Just remember: you're allowed to tinker with those straps to your heart's content while you walk - except for adjusting the torso length, you don't even have to stop to do it.