Mine varies too--I take lots more stuff when taking out the grandkids! For me and the dog, it's primarily bandaids, blister stuff, a couple of gauze pads and tegaderm pads, the aforementioned vet wrap, antibiotic ointment (a couple of individual envelopes), tweezers, ibuprofen (for me), Rimadyl (analgesic for the dog), a couple of baby aspirin to chew in case of heart problems (never had any yet), anti-diarrheal, antacid and antihistamine. Except for the ibuprofen (poisonous to dogs) and Hysson's Rimadyl, everything does double duty for both me and the dog.

BTW, by far the most effective compresses for heavy bleeding are sanitary pads or incontinence pads. Both the WFA classes I've taken highly recommended them. I therefore keep a couple in my first aid kit, each sealed in its own sandwich bag. They are more absorbent and less bulky (also less pricey) than the compresses you buy in the first aid section. A plain gauze pad is of little use for heavy bleeding (cut artery or even vein).