Instead of ace bandage, I carry the self-adhering foam bandage known as "vet wrap." It is a lot lighter, will be needed if my dog rips off a dewclaw or otherwise injures a leg, and will work just fine on me for a sprained ankle or pressure bandage (I did some experimenting). You do have to replace it every year or two because the material eventually fuses together. It can be found at any farm store and most pet stores. Or can be gotten for free, if (like me) your daughter is a veterinarian! laugh

Which brings up an important point--you do need to replace the contents of your FAK periodically. Bandaging ages, or at least the paper covering does, OTC meds expire, etc. This was heavily stressed in my most recent Wilderness First Aid class.

I would like to urge everyone to take a WFA class if they possibly can! It's a lot different than your standard first aid class which assumes that an ambulance is just around the corner!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/21/11 08:08 PM)