Being a hunter, I can tell you that a GOOD hunter should spot a hiker before the hiker spots the hunter.

Also, keep in mind the area you are in. Out here in the west, we do mostly spot-and-stalk hunting. This means that the hunter will likely be glassing from high up on a ridge and is likely to see a hiker. I know if I, or any of my buddies, saw a hiker in an area we were glassing, we would keep an eye on their progress and make sure to look elsewhere for game to track. We hunt sunup to sundown.

Those of you who hike in more densely vegetated areas, especially in the mid-west, south, or back east, are more likely to run into a tree stand or ground blind hunter. They like to hunt edges of feed plots (corn, beans, wheat, etc...), edges of timber, and natural terrain funnels (deer like to take the easy route too). Most tree stand/ground blind hunters like to get to their spot before light, head back to camp for the afternoon, and return to their stand for the evening hours.

You may also try picking up a copy of your state's yearly hunting and trapping regulations handbook(s). Every one I have ever seen was free. They can be found at most any store that sells hunting equipment, long guns (rifles and shotguns), some sporting goods stores (Big 5), and are also available online. They are easy to use and come with maps showing hunting areas.