I am curious. Do most people here using a hose system also use treking poles? Do most people using bottles usually have their hands free anyways? Other than that, I am not a fan of bladders or any water in my pack because it is already waterproof. No need to add extra weight of liner. I like my pack snug, not floppy, and stopping to tighten the compression straps every time I get thirsty is annoying. Hoses in winter freeze and the bite valve leaks without a shut off. I find it hard to breath while sucking through a hose. I use a squeezable water bottle with the filter in the bottle. I also take a gatoraide squeeze bottle and fill it from the other as I walk because the filter bottle is barely better than sucking through a hose. Sometimes I want to suck down water at a faster rate. I also carry a large gatoraide bottle for "dirty" water in case I run out of filtered before the next creek. My water bottle with filter has a Grossgrain strap like a x.c. ski pole and I can almost forget I am carrying it when it is not hooked to the pack. Filtering water into a bag and carrying all that weight just seems like a waste of time to slow you down unless you are in the dessert.