You are missing rain gear, too. You won't want to get cheap stuff as it rains there a lot and you will be going off the trails.

For maps, I'd suggest Topo Explorer. The online version will allow you to just download the area you need. It sounds a little expensive, but it's cheaper than buying maps.

For food, you will need about 3,000 calories a day. A Mountain House meal is about 500 calories. Figure about 1.5 pounds a day for dehydrated food, nuts, granola bars, etc. Then an additional 20% for packaging unless you repackage in smaller bags. Many carry less for weekend trips as they don't feel hungry.

When you add food and water, I think you will find you are closer to 50 pounds. Maybe more as your extra clothes will weigh more than the spec weight since you are bigger.

You are also missing little things like a tiny towel, toothpaste and a toothbrush, fuel for the stove, toilet paper if you plan to bring any, lighter fluid for the Zippo, tent stakes, bear bag, hammerfor, fleece/jacket, long john tops, trash bag.

I don't think anyone is saying carrying a 50 pound pack is impossible. But it will be uncomfortable. And it will slow you down a lot. I met a woman thru-hiking the Colorado Trail this year whose pack was in the mid-40's. But she has been hiking a long time. It did slow her down some, but she made informed choices about weight vs. things she wanted.

I think everyone here would disagree with wearing heavy boots but me. It's just come down to a preference for me. Besides, I like the way they feel.

Try not to get defensive about your choices. People have been helping me all summer. I constantly have to remind myself to not think "You're wrong" and to say "Why are they right?"

I consider everyone's choices and balance mine with money, personal preference, and waiting until I decide which particular item to buy. I know I'll get a good down bag eventually, but in my case I have to buy a second one for my son. So that's an extra $1,000 which for now is out of reach. I know I'll probably buy down fleeces eventually, but that's another $350 or so. I also use a different setup for a hammock which people disagree with. But it works for me as I sleep very warm and I'm too sour for bugs to bite me.

A lot depends on whether you want to have fun in camp or hike long distances. I'm very simplistic in camp. I don't mind just sitting on a log for a few hours and then going to sleep as soon as it gets dark.

There are a lot of experienced people here who have helped me a lot this summer. If you go back and read their old posts, you will find some have hiked the long trails, some camp in the winter, one is in search and rescue and hikes an amazing number of miles, some have hiked in the exotic foreign countries. If we had a convention and opened our packs, everyone would have something different. (Might be fun for the Colorado group.)

The common thread I see here and on the trail is keeping the pack weight down. That allows us to get the miles up. Is it just a fad? Or is it something that happens naturally? Probably some of both. In a Canadian board I lurk on, they are more into the heavier weights and emphasizing the camping experience.

In one of your posts the word "survival" caught my eye. Are you planning a bugout bag for when times get tough and planning to live in the woods? If so, reducing non-essentials is critical so you can carry more food. Trapping only works well in the survival books. When I was in survival school in the Air Force, I found bugs are a lot more plentiful and easier to catch. There is a meal under almost every rock.

Edited by Gershon (10/08/11 07:57 AM)