Originally Posted By OregonMouse

It takes considerable experience with thermoregulation (adjusting your clothing to your body temperature) to recognize that very narrow gap between sweating and the beginnings of hypothermia.

I think the experience I do have has been more of a disadvantage to me than a help oddly enough. Most of my time spent out in cooler weather for any length of time has been spent deer hunting. I usually take a fourwheeler to somewhere close to my stand which leaves you cold from the windchill, the short walk to the stand doesn't really overheat me even in all my layers because of the chill from the ride, and the bulk of the time is spent nearly motionless. I've noticed because of that I tend to be way overdressed for being ACTIVE in cold weather. It is rather suprizing how much more clothing it takes to be comfortable sitting still 15-30 feet up a tree where all of any breeze that blows hits you in comparison to being active on the ground.

As far as having the rain gear for camp, I guess I didnt really notice much of a difference because we really didn't spend any time just sitting around camp for the evaporative cooling to be an issue. Basically once we had camp set up (which wound up being later than we planned on) we had supper, hung our food up, and hit the sleeping bags. Sounds like thats something I'll need to reconsider. It doesn't pack up very well at all if using the stuff sack it comes with (the one I planned to sacrifice for the hood extension). That bulk made it a bit difficult to pack well, which is part of the reason I had considered just leaving it out unless dealing with colder weather. I plan to make a sack for it that will allow it to lay more flat though. Once I do that it should pack much easier, and not be a problem to have all the time.