Most people so far have said your gear is fine and stick with it.... and that's true, but I will take a different approach. Since you have the opportunity now to get the gear that's best for you, now is the time to get what you want.

Backpack: Fit is most important. How it feels on your back with your gear is primary. Second is how the pack fits your gear. Is your pack too big.... I'm not sure until you get the rest of your gear. If you want to get the right pack (and don't mind the extra effort) return the pack now, get the rest of your gear, then buy the pack that fits you comfortably and fits your gear. I think it is a better idea to get the pack that fits what you plan on doing now and think about a bigger pack if yo plan on a longer trip in the future.

Tent: 5lbs is a bit heavy for a two-person tent. You can get a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 at 2 lbs 2 oz or a copper spur ul2 for 3lbs 6 oz. Both are 2 person tents and a significant weight savings. A lighter tent will be a bit flimsier, but these are commercially produced tents so they should hold up pretty well.

Sleeping bag: You could save about a pound off your bag weight by switching to the BA Mystic SL. It is also a 15°F bag, but it costs more. Some people complain the BA bags are colder than their rating do to the issues described by Glenn. Since you sound like a smaller person, it is something to consider. You might want to look at Marmot bags. A top of the line 15°F bag would be the Plasma 15. Like packs, bags should fit you. So you should try them on if you can. Golite has some great bags and quilts too. Definitely worth checking out.

Lastly don't spend so much time nit-picking your gear that you forget to get out there and use it!

Edited by BZH (09/27/11 01:07 PM)