I worry mainly about the modern firearm seasons for deer and elk. Bowhunters and muzzle loader hunters are a relatively small group, have to get closer to their prey and normally get only one shot.

Like Bill, I avoid opening weekend of the general season and generally go out midweek (which I do anyway, to avoid the weekend crowds), with a blaze orange vest on me and a blaze orange scarf on Hysson (in addition to his red pack). Some years back I found a sale of blaze orange vests, 2 for $10. They are evidently made for 300-pounders--plenty big enough for me to wear over my backpacking pack and still have it loose! I cut up the second vest to make a scarf for Hysson and a band for my hat.

I figure that wearing blaze orange is a courtesy to the hunters as well as protection for me. Contrary to popular opinion, most hunters are really nice folk and are really enthusiastic about the out-of-doors and conservation. It's their license fees that pay most of the cost for state wildlife conservation and research and the Federal tax on their firearms that pays for most Federal wildlife conservation (such as refuges) and research. The hunters I know personally are all real sticklers for firearm safety. It's actually only a small minority of hunters that race around in pickups or ATVs drinking beer, banging away at anything that moves. Of course it's that quite visible minority that worries most of us!

Western Oregon's modern firearm deer and elk seasons start October 1 and basically run through November. Eastern Oregon deer hunting is all by special permit but it appears they also start shooting October 1.

Washington's general modern firearm season doesn't start until October 15 this year (it varies so opening day on a Saturday). Guess where we Portland-area hikers will be hiking the next 2 weeks! There is a "high buck" season September 15-25, but this is only in designated wilderness areas north of I-90 (and, I believe, on the Olympic Peninsula). Also, those hunters have to be sure there are 3 points per antler before shooting. The main problem with "high buck" season is that the high country gets rather crowded at that time. Oregon has one about the same time, but I didn't see it listed this year.

With both states, some form or other of hunting season runs through November and sometimes into December.

Of course bear seasons in both states start August 1 and run through December. Since the fatal shooting in Washington of a hiker mistaken for a bear a few years ago, we hikers tend to be a little more cautious. Cougar season in Oregon is year-around, and since it's common knowledge that many so-called cougar sightings turn out to be golden labs, I worry a bit about Hysson. So far I've relied on his red pack, but I may just sew some blaze orange ribbon on the upper black part.

In addition to blaze orange, it's a good idea to make noise as you hike, especially in brushy areas, unless, of course, your singing sounds like a bull elk bugle!
lol