Quote:
I go days without seeing anyone and then step onto the JMT and see 20+ people in an hour!

With the exception of a few popular day hike trails there is nothing like that happening here that I'm aware of. That's crazy.

I'll be doing my first section hike of a trail, the OHT (Ozark Highlands Trail), in early November so it will be interesting to compare the experiences. I don't expect to see many hikers at all, but since I'm seldom on a trail I could very well be surprised.

Quote:
In their rush to complete the "trail" most JMT hikers do not even think of camping more than 20 yards off the trail!

I suppose when you approach every backpacking trip as a physical challenge or contest you must, to a great degree, ignore the broader environment while you focus on the challenge.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not why I backpack. Because my reasons are so far removed from that goal I'm just not interested at all in it. The innovation that goal inspires does interest me, but if you can tell me about a SSS (super scenic spot) spot you found some miles, or even a few hundred feet, off the beaten path I'd start taking notes.

"You want to go where?"