Welcome to the forums Allison!

W_D, Lori, and OM all make important points, but I don't think the take away should be that they discourage solo hiking, or even writing about it.

I read your blog post and I think you did a fair job of explaining the benefits you experience, but you really do just skim the surface of safety and preparedness. It's a blog post, which are really not supposed to be in depth, but that is a subject for a book written by an expert.

But we certainly discuss it here. Take a look at some of the discussions we've had:

solo BPing the reality

Solo hikers - any personal fears?

W_D's story about meeting the woman that met the bears on her trip really brings into view the realities of heading out alone with little or no experience and probably a sort of best case scenario at that. That's not something most in the community here would advise.

As opposed to writing about being "prepared" when going solo, I'd offer that you focus on your experiences going solo. Chronicle what you learn, what you enjoy and love, what you fear and worry about, what worked and what didn't, mistakes made and lessons learned.

You're young, you have opportunity to share those things in bits and pieces as they are new to you, as blogs are intended to do, and that will provide the encouragement you seek to provide.

Take some time to read some of the other threads here that might interest you, and take the time to share your trips and experiences here with us, and jump into the rumpus! grin

"You want to go where?"