I'm also satisfied with a simple watch (with a stopwatch function for timing, used mostly for training walks at home). However, my hiking speed generally averages about 1 mph unless I'm on a relatively long section of level smooth trail. Also, the watch lets me discipline myself so I don't stop (except for picture taking) more often than 5-10 minutes every hour. Otherwise I'd be taking a 20-30 minute break every 40 minutes! Or maybe the other way around--hike 20-30 minutes and stop an hour!

Sometimes I want to get up really early and get on the trail by daybreak if (1) it's going to be a hot day (when I want my dog off the trail and resting in the shade by noon) or (2) if I'm going to be hiking in high exposed places and afternoon thunderstorms are likely. I still haven't found a watch with a loud enough alarm to wake me up! With the unusually cool summer and my having to cancel my planned trip to the Winds for family reasons, it wasn't an issue this year. In the future I'll have to settle for a small travel alarm despite the weight.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/21/11 09:32 PM)