Originally Posted By kievalina

Joined a few of the meetup groups, just missed a newbie/intermediate hike that only happens in the Spring and Fall, so kind of out of luck on that until the Spring. (Spots filled fast, long waiting list, etc.) It would have been nearly perfect, like an hour or so from my house, etc. But it's full.

It's not the only hike you'll find on the calendar. There will be others. I run two meetup groups and am a member of five, there are last minute hikes all the time. And don't forget, you can always suggest an encore of the hike you wanted to do!

Don't let the people who think you can't read or think for yourself get you down. You're doing fine. You'll figure it out. One of the things I discovered, after getting into forums like this after I started trying to backpack, is that you can ask two backpackers a question and get ten opinions. I've been told my gear won't work at least a hundred times, yet it does work.

I wouldn't go on the not-fun trip until you've gone on some fun trips and gotten the gear figured out - trips with challenges are fun, you just gotta prepare yourself right.

http://hikeandbackpack.com