Heather, I can't tolerate more than about 100 mg of Mg+ at a time either... severe nausea and "rapid evacuation". The reason is that in higher doses Mg+ is rejected by the body rather than being absorbed, and it actually increases peristalsis and elimination, which is part of the reason why it is effective in relieving constipation (think Milk of Magnesia). In low doses, however, the body recognizes it as a necessary nutrient and absorbs it readily, so long as it is not taken with calcium at the same time. I can do several small doses throughout the day without the nausea. I have powdered mag citrate that I add in tiny increments to my drinks several times a day when I really feel like I need it (nerve pain and/or muscle cramping). It helps a great deal. I usually do the Mg+ starting in the morning until mid-day, then take my Ca++ at bedtime. He should be taking both to ensure his ratios are balanced (unless his doc doesn't want him taking Ca++ - he is on alot of meds).

The CoQ10 is best taken at night with Vitamin E. Apparently that helps with absorption. According to the literature (and my experience) it can take several weeks to have an effect.

I'd love to hear how it goes in a few months!

MNS