I've read up on the trail. It looks quite interesting (which means HILLY. If you go south to north 2/3 will be downhill.

The review I saw said most people take 5 days which is a long time for a first backpacking trip. There can still be freezing weather there at that time of year, and possibly some snow.

Have the ones who invited you research the trail and see if there is a way to get off it everyday.

Ok, that's the bad news. You CAN do it.

Backpacking for idiots:

Break it down into modules and solve it one problem at a time.

1. Sleeping
2. Shelter
3. Clothes
4. Eating
5. Warmth
6. Staying dry
7. Hydration
8. Packing
9. Hiking.

Let's pick sleeping. You will have a sleeping bag. For that weather probably rated to 20 degrees. It can't be too expensive unless you are rich. But it should be a quality brand. Which one? I'll leave that to the experts here.

Too keep it simple, I'd suggest shopping at REI. If you become a member ($20 for life) everything is super easy to return even without the receipt. They say you can return it for life. But don't just go and see what they have in stock as this time of year, their camping supplies are a little short.

I'll start it off with an example. Others will have better choices.

sleeping bag

Weight will become a big factor. Try to keep the bag below 3 pounds. Around 2 pounds would be even better.

Yes, it's expensive, but cheaper than 3 nights in a motel.

Once you have the bag, sleep in it. At home on the floor. In the backyard on a tarp. Then you will be familiar with one aspect and can come back for the next chapter.

Gram Cracker