I've only taken the canoe out a couple of times but I enjoyed it quite well. I suspect I'll like it even more when the weather cools a bit. 100+ degree days don't inspire me to spend time with the sun reflecting and coming at me from multiple angles.

It rides pretty much as I expected it to, but I don't have a lot of experience for comparison. I really liked how light it is when I had to car top it after paddling; the shoulders were a bit worn already (smile).

That center crossbeam I learned was to be removed. The funky U pieces are for carrying it on the shoulders. Apparently there is an option to mount it to an external frame pack also. Its light enough (23lbs) that carrying it like a suitcase for short distances is no problem.

When I was a field chemist many years ago I was assigned to a lab outside St. Louis twice for a few months each time. I was surprised how much I liked it there. I've thought about other locations, and also about staying put. My present location, Alabama, and Alaska still top the list. But retirement is (hopefully) 9 years away and things could change.