Everyone says to get rid of my SVEA 123R stove. So, I've been doing some experimentation to see if it is lightweight. The weights are measured on a postal scale.

Empty stove with pot & handle: 532g----1 lb 2.75 oz
Stove without pot: 450g--15.85 oz
Pot & Handle: 82 g -- 2.9 oz

Cost: $89 new today on Amazon

I've learned to cook in the 2 cup pot that comes with the stove, so I no longer carry a pot and cup. Subtract the weight of yours (if any) from the weight if this would work.

The stove sounds heavy compared to ultralight standards. I made a crude alcohol stove which was only 10 grams. Add in a stand and windscreen and it might be 25 grams. So, the SVEA loses on basic weight. Then add a pot which might be 35 grams. I don't know.

But there is more to it.

This mornining I cooked hot cereal containing:
167 gr water
47 gr 10 grain cereal
5 gr carob seeds
5 gr rice bran.

The outside temperature is 70 degrees. Water temperature was from the tap.

I let the cereal soak while filling the stove and getting it ready.

Cooking time was right at 3 minutes including priming time. I cook 6 times a day, so the time saved is a lot. If it's just 7 minutes per use, that's 42 minutes saved. That may or may not be important, but it makes it easy to cook lunch while on a quick break at a scenic spot. It also gets me out a little earlier in the morning.

Fuel used was 2 grams. I've measured about 6 meals on the stove and each time, it took 2 grams of fuel. I don't know how this compares to alcohol stoves. This sounds very tiny to me, so I'll check fuel used from a bottle over a large number of meals.

Priming fluid was less than a gram. (I use cigarette lighter fluid which works better than gas or fire paste.)

There are some tricks to using the stove.

1. Fill it each time. Letting it run even a bit low can increase fuel use to 10 grams as it takes longer to burn efficiently. Starting it when fuel is low also increases priming fluid.

2. Don't put the pot on the stove until the flame starts or it won't start as well.

3. Don't leave the stove in the sun after use or fuel vapor will come out. (In the pack is fine.)

5. Off is to the RIGHT. If you turn it to the left, it will leak vapor in time.

6. Priming - fill the spirit cup with lighter fluid and dribble just enough to the top to allow lighting without removing windscreen. Using too much fluid makes it harder to start. Turn valve 90 degrees from off after 15 or 20 seconds.

The cost of fuel is very cheap and available. I've mostly been using old gasoline which works just fine. I priced HEET at the local quick stop and it was $2.79 for 12 ounces. I'm sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but that's probably what I'd pay if resupplying in a small town.

The flame is easily adjustible and can simmer well without an extra simmer ring which may be needed on alcohol stoves.

One which a SVEA user can appreciate is you can adjust the flame height by sound rather than looking at an invisible flame with alcohol.

The stove will not leave burn rings on a wooden table although I use it on a safe surface when out. I've been using it on my deck a lot and it doesn't hurt it.

I'll probably eventually get real anal and bring my scale with me on a 2 or 3 day trip and see how it performs in the field in lower temperatures and at high altitude. In practice, I suspect I use more fuel than I do at home.

Cons:

Be real careful with white gas. Be sure the gas bottle is well away from the stove. Be sure the cap is on the stove before lighting.

Flareups are common for new users. They usually come from using gas for priming fluid or using too much fluid. (Too much priming fluid causes liquid gas to come out which doesn't light well until it dribbles down the side.) I've found any flareup can be doused with a handy bottle of water. But I haven't had one in a long time. This is more in the nature of a "Warning, coffee is hot" label on a cup from McDonald's.

Nostalgia factor: I'll probably change my sleeping bag, pack, tent, clothes, raingear, toothbrush, food I eat and everything else.

But I've had the stove for 34 years and have gone a lot of places with it. The brass very classy. It just wouldn't be the same without it.

Edited by Gershon (08/29/11 10:09 AM)