Originally Posted By Kind_Head
...Sleeping Bag - Mountain Hardware Lamina 35 degree. The synthetic version which I found to be extremely lightweight and amazing quality for the price. Got it on sale for 99.99, And after compression it gets down to about the size of an average hiking boot. Extremely happy with it so far in the warmer weather. I have faith it will hold up just fine during the fall seasons as well.

it may be cheap but its 2lb 4oz for a 35°F bag. You could cut that weigh in half with a down bag. It will be expensive, but a pound is a lot of weight to cut.

Trekking Poles - Since the Nemo is held up by trekking poles I figured Id start hiking with poles!! lol.

You bought a tent that requires trekking poles before you even found out if you like using trekking poles? Sounds a little backwards to me. Try out the trekking poles before you buy the tent.

I could use some advice on cooksets. I am almost 99% set on the GSI bugaboo backpacker set. I originally was looking into lighter weight more minimal sets. But I realized I would really like to have a pot AND a skillet that all fit together into one package with my fuel/stove. The reason for the pan is I do a lot of car camping too and I want to be able to cook a full breakfast.. eggs bacon hashbrowns if need be. there are 2 bowls and 2 cups included but people say ditch the bowls, use the space for fuel, and go pick up a small plate/bowl

How much do the parts you want weigh? One thing I found out early on, getting dual purpose hiking/car camping equipment is never a good idea. You end up replacing the item twice pretty quickly. Pick up a cheap frying pan from Walmart or Ikea for car camping and get a separate equipment only for backpacking.

Water Filtration - MSR Miniworks EX. Another piece of gear I have yet to buy but I am set on getting very soon. I like that you are able to pump water on the up and down motions.

Steripens and/or tablets are lighter

First Aid - I could use a little help with this. I will probably just get one from REI and add a few things. Not sure what to add really. But want to be prepared for any serious infections.. open wounds, even a headache or sore muscles.

The prepackaged sets are expensive and have too much stuff in them. The best advice I ever heard was don't put something in your first aide kit, if you don't know how to use it.

Sleeping Pad - I have an old thermarest but it is very old. (Given to me along with that ol' tent) Great pad. I actually lived in a apt for a year with no bed and just slept on that. So when Im out on the trail its like home again. But its just too big and heavy. I have been looking into the Big Agnes Air Core but I am open to suggestions!

BA's seem heavy to me for what they are. Check out Neo air, kookabay, and pacific outdoor equipment.

Shoe - I have been looking for an affordable shoe that I can also wear out on the town as well. I wear sanuks every day of the week so I really loved the feel of the Patagonia Olulu how you can really feel the ground below you. I dont like big soles. But I figured if I wanna be a more serious hiker I should probably look into a more serious shoe??
I tried on the patagonia Scree Shield. Loved the way it felt. I need something affordable at this point cuz the shoe is the last thing that I will probably buy.

You should always try on any shoe you are going to buy. I am starting to buy into the standard advice on here to drop the heavy hiking boot and go with trail runners.

maybe some gortex socks to go with them.

Why? The best way to keep your feet dry is to let the air out. Gortex only keeps your feet wet.