What exactly is safe? I don't think we can find a universal definition of safe that applies to the real world. Safe might mean having an AK47, or not having an AK47, it depends. Are we as citizens responsible to do only safe things so the government (now personalized as SAR people) do not have to rescue us in places that saner people would not go? I mean this IS NOT cut and dried. Many non-climbers think all climbers are insane and should not be rescued for doing something stupid and screwing up. (we have this huge debate about Mt Hood here in Oregon and whether it should be closed for safety reasons and whether people need electronic leashes up there) Same goes for backpackers, trail runners, and people who walk their dogs - they are choosing to expose themselve to un-necesary danger outside of their cubicle.

You can save an SAR person by staying at home....

I have .3 acre of jumbled lava flow on my property thats far more dangerous than anything most beginners will ever see, and thats what I climb/hike through to get up my deck. I don't file flight plans, I instead use care and skill and good equipment and keep an eye out for cougars.

Jim :-p