Unless you have a real reason for boots, I'd suggest hiking shoes. I wouldn't recommend using running shoes as their soles have a poor grip.

Personally, I've always had good luck with cheap ones from Big 5 or someplace like that. For a trip that long, they should be no problem. Be sure to break them in, but it doesn't take long like it does for boots.

For a newer hiker, it's difficult to keep the pack weight under 35 pounds for those first trips. For a smaller person the target should be under 30 pounds. (Including food and water.) Any more than that, and you will really suffer.

Try not to be too ambitious on miles. One to one and a half mph including short breaks is a reasonable goal for newer hikers. Five miles a day would probably be enjoyable, seven doable, nine miserable. If you are starting out downhill, realize it will likely take about fifty percent longer to get back. You can always explore after you set up camp and see some more things.

(Distances and weights are estimates and based on personal experiences when I was new.)