The planning is as done as it's going to be. We ran into a couple snags. Section 4 has a 13 mile stretch without water. It's one of the real mountainous parts so it might take 2 days. Fortunately, there is an alternate route where the trail used to go. We will decide at the intersection. Maybe spit on a hand and clap and see where most of it goes.

The big problem is section 18 where there is a 23 mile stretch without water. And if we are a day late, the trail angel won't be available, so it would be 32 miles. We may meet someone along the trail who can tell us differently. There are some water sources that might be available. If it can't be done, we will go around.

Realistically, the chance of a "white blaze" through hike is small, but life isn't a "white blaze" trail. Somewhere along the line, the drive to do the whole trail perfectly crept in. We had to remind ourselves the original intent was to have fun for 40 days and get where we get.

Today it's off to buy food. I already ordered a bunch of dehydrated food. Now it's other stuff. Then we will have to separate it into 8 boxes for resupplies along the way. We decide to hit towns more often than really needed.

With a real conservative plan it will take us 49 days which puts us near snow time. We will have to watch that carefully and err on the side of safety and drop out if we really do hit the 49 days.

I'm a micro planner so the plan is quite detailed, but we are flexible enough to change. The micro planning is just to get familiar with the trail. Once we start, it will be pretty free.

On a real positive note, I won't lose any pay. Work will cover for me. They are real excited about the hike.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.