Welcome to the Forums!

I mostly do winter backpacking off trail but I don't really consider what I do extreme. I've done some below 0º nights, but we don't get many days here that are that cold (none that I remember). And I don't post much in the "Winter Backcountry Travel " forum because we don't get a lot of snow here either.

All that said, compared to most backpackers here, what I do is actually kind of extreme because most backpackers here don't do it how I do. Most hike on trails in the Spring or Fall, but December thru February they stay inside. For me those are prime time hiking days, but I usually bust loose when the weather is nice, and avoid extreme weather. Still, when I ask if anyone wants to go the usual reply is "You want to go where?", and they think I'm extreme, if that counts for anything laugh

I'd say according to your definition JimShaw and Wondering_Daisey are probably our two most prominent "Extremist". I wouldn't say they considering themselves to be so, but after getting to know them a bit, and comparing their styles to my own and others I've hiked with, they've earned that title and few would argue they haven't. Both have done a lot of extreme weather backpacking by my standards, and climbing by anyones. You might want to go over some of their old posts, they're a good read and you'll find a lot of wisdom in them, and be sure to read Wondering_Daisey's "Trip Reports". This year she's already done more extreme backpacking than I have in my entire life wink

balzaccom gets out there a lot, and compared to most of us here he and his wife have done some impressive trips. While not really extreme in a dangerous way, to me, they too exemplify what backing really is and they employ a high standard while doing it. They go places that we'd all love to go too. Read up on their "Trip Reports" and check out their blog. Great stuff there.

One thing we all have in common is a love to hear about each others outings. I can't go backpacking here right now. It's way too hot, and even if I could survive that the chiggers would devour me in less than a week, but I still love to hear about where others are going and see photos of their trips. You can even post about your old trips, they'd all be new to me laugh

"You want to go where?"