I don't spend a lot of down time, myself, but I find that I do pay more attention than I might otherwise. A good example is snakes - before reading Fletcher, I hated snakes and planned how I would use my hiking staff to kill any I saw. (Which could have led to the Kim-Darby-down-the-well-whacking-at-the- snake scene in the original True Grit - with similar results.)

However, after reading his "connect, just connect" philosophies, I lost that hatred. I don't intend to go by the nickname "sleeps with snakes" or anything, but my reaction to seeing them is now more curiosity and interest than hatred and loathing.

I also find that I pay more attention to things as I walk - the swirls worn into the sandstone that can only be described as "seeing the wind," or the layers of rock and the tilting that makes me understand how the earth has moved and grown over eons.

The just-sitting-around, I can't do - but I've learned to pay attention quicker and better as a result of Fletcher. (Tried contemplating my navel once, but the most profound thought was, "Hey, lint!" smile )