Originally Posted By MOE
Well Hello All;

I'm new to Backpacking Camping, I used to car camp or load my gear on to the ATV. Had to sell the truck and ATV so for now I gotta hoof all my gear in. I can see it's gonna be a whole new ballgame.

Which brings me here, I need help picking new gear. Since weight wasnt an issue before I could bring whatever I wanted. Since I also hunt some of my weight will be my weapon so I need to become a minimalist.

First things first I live in South Florida and my majority of my time outdoors will be in Florida, so the weather does get cold but not very and not for long.

1. Tent - was thinking Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout $125
2. Bag - ?
HELP!

Really hard to say - depends what you are after.

What kind of bag did you take car camping? how warm? how heavy is it? you may not need a new one (lord knows, florida? I might sleep naked year round there wink )

What are you hunting? deer? small game? etc? Are you going to be packing out heavy game, etc..

A very good place to start is the parent to this site, on backpacking.net - search for the "three day 18 pound list" and the "27 pound seven day list" - My stuff is also listed in my signature which will give you an idea of a moderately lightweight rig.

Note I carry heavier stuff (not by much) when I hunt. it's cold up here then, and I carry a frame pack because big pieces of moose are heavy to carry out wink

Browse my pictures