Well...OldScout....it's easy. I'm in Texas and hike mostly desert. Yeah you sweat and stink, but your dry. Rain is a blessing. Anyways, I've hiked plenty of rainy places but find the rules are the same. Wear stuff that dries really fast, no cotton. My underwear is the cut out lining of Brooks nylon running shorts. Dries in seconds with a quick rinse. Socks are the thinnest nylon I can find. Sometimes I wear the running shorts to hike in (not cutting out the linings), while my convertibles dry out. My shirt is always a white poly blend, long sleeve, cheapo dress shirt. They wick well, keep me cool, dry super fast. I'll sometimes bring a poly shirt to sleep in...and take advantage of bathing opportunities, which might be a clothing rinse and wet rag wipedown. I'm very careful in the desert to not pollute water sources. If hiking along our lakes or paddling, I'll dive right in. grin

Oh, yeah, the rain part....with a poncho and umbrella, I don't often get wet but sometimes enjoy it in summer. My pants dry out in under an hour, as do shirts, if the humidity is low. So, i try to make sure I'm dried out in plenty of time for camp. There are some fabrics that simply don't hold much water and that's what I'm looking for. I did hike Vancouver Island once where nothing seemed to dry out fast...so, sleep commando, or in your sleeping shirt, and your stuff should be dry'ish by morning. Body heat takes it from there.
Oddly enough, I learned a lot about lightweight travel from Rick Steves....look him up...he's got good ideas.

Edited by Dryer (06/21/11 12:56 PM)