I pack a lot like you WD. My cell phone did manage to creep it's way into my pack as a regular occupant - but only to replace the one or two paperback books I would usually carry - and that is it's only purpose on the trail for me - I use it to read books at night. (It has occasionally worked well as a backup camera). I did weigh it - it's actually a little lighter than the average paperback - so I think I came out ahead.

I am typically running with printed topos, and nothing else. I don't bother with a compass in the mountains. I do in flatlands. I've still not succumbed to taking a GPS with me unless I know I want it for a reason.

Glen - I've done periodic "pack evictions" like you talk about. things that always seem to be there and getting evicted:

0 - books - buy it on kindle and put it on the phone!
1 - extra lighters - I need one extra - not three
2 - extra batteries - My petzl e-light lasts all season on two little cr2032 batteris for going pee and the odd evening task. I've not yet stooped to not taking the e-light - I know it's a luxury and I could do without it just fine
3 - extra tie lines and guylines - I seem to toss the odd bit more in and soon I have the proverbial ball of string - I need some little bit of utility cord with me, but not a huge amount!
4 - knives - I need my little teeny SAK, or my opinel, but not both
5 - pills - I want my two aleve a day, a few ibuprophen, and a vitamin a day - no more.
6 - bandaids and blister treatment - I put a *lot* more of this in when taking newbies on the trail, then evict it from my pack again when it's just me
7 - (a recent eviction) my wool gloves in warm weather - I now typically *wear* mechanic's gloves while hiking/scrambling and these are good enough as pot lifters and hand warming in warm weather.
8 - pot lifter - use gloves that can take some heat
9 - firestarters - I take *one* candle. and only just in case. more keep creeping in. with a sharp knife and a lighter I manage to light fires even in some very wet rainforest. just takes some patience. (the candle is for an emercency when I do not have such patience)

Browse my pictures