I think we have to be careful to evaluate if all that new stuff is really needed. I just use topo maps (yes with edges cut off) and have eliminated the compass becaues I hike in areas with very distinct landmarks. I do not take: cell phone, GPS, personal locator, batteries, or any other electronic gagets, except my camera. And weight was a big consideration when I bought a new camera. I do not take a headlamp when it is full moon. I cut off the handle of my toothbrush so it fits in a snack size zip lock, not to save weight. I do not take a "camp towel" - I use my head kerchief. I do not take a bowl- I eat out of the cooking pot. I do not take "extras" - I just am very careful not to loose things. I cut off excess strap lengths on my pack. Not just for weight savings- I just do not like to have a dangling ends. I resist 90% of the "toys" and goodies offered now at REI. No hydration bladder- I use old vinegar bottles. I use chlorine tabs and do not carry more than 1 liter water - often only half a liter of water. I plan my food so I have NOTHING left when I walk out. There are a lot of lighter options for clothing, but I am too cheap to buy them until my stuff wears out.