Have a look at the 18 pound three day list, and 27 pound 7 day list on the home page of this site. A number of us also publish lists (see my signature).

What you might want to do (and what I have done in the distant past) is put a piece of masking tape on everything in your pack that you take. When you use it in the field - take the tape off. when you get home some of it will have tape on it. look at, and think critically about anything with tape left on it. (some stuff, like f'rinstance my bear spray or plb, I am glad to have but never use - but some stuff, like the pair of extra shorts I never use is worth reconisidering taking)

The other place is look carefully at the weight of your "big three" - pack, shelter, and sleeping. - most weight savings can be had there - but be careful - some of that is contingent on your hiking style.

For example, I regularly take a Granite Gear Virga pack - it weighs slightly over a pound - most big packs with heavy frames weight something like 4-7 pounds. *HOWEVER* - all my gear before food and water typically weighs about 10-15 pounds - so I can get away with, and be comfortable with, the light frameless pack. I don't reccomend such a pack to a new hiker unless they are using the same gear as me, although I do reccomend keeping your pack lighter and smaller. a smaller pack means you are less tempted to take extra junk smile

Browse my pictures