I fully agree. We've finished the first generation of going light - now it's time to see what can evolve from that.

Water treatment would seem to be a prime target. Filters are convenient, but all the consistently reliable ones seem unable to break the 1-pound barrier. The filters that are lighter, like the Hyperflow, tend to have shorter lives and be less reliable. Chemical treatment is consistently reliable, but slow. As a result, I carry a Hyperflow for weekends, and a Miniworks for longer, with chemical backup - and constantly ask myself if I wouldn't be better off just to go the "plop, plop, fizz, fizz" route. No answers here, but I'm definitely interested in alternatives and ideas.

Stoves could be improved. I love canister stoves, except I can't figure out why no manufacturer seems to be able to come up with a light, simple windscreen! Sure, I can always block the wind by putting it behind a rock - but a rock isn't exactly lightweight to carry around. wink I don't like the environmental aspect of disposable canisters, which makes me want to try an alcohol stove - except that no one has found a way to fill the things, then seal them off so you don't have to waste fuel by burning it off (or spilling it all over you while you try to pour it back in the bottle.)

As far as packs, I'm still surprised that major manufacturers haven't copied and refined the use of sleeping pads as part of the pack suspension; it works fairly well for Gossamer Gear and SMD, but there's still room for improvement. And speaking of sleeping pads, maybe someone can come up with a way to combine the lightweight and durability of a closed cell pad with the comfort and packability of a self-inflator?

Then, if someone could combine the best features of a poncho with the protection and multi-use features of a rain suit...

So, yeah, there's still a lot of fertile ground for us to plow.