While I still do some of the things you discuss (particularly constant attention to what does and doesn't get taken), I've found that the state of the market has changed considerably in the last 9 years, and has rendered much of my old obssessive behavior unnecessary. (I'm not going to address do-it-yourself; I have none of the requisite skills, and therefore no experience or knowledge.)

For example, 15 years ago, I was already playing the "light" game (at least to some extent.) I did cut labels off, cut excess straps, tool loops, and sleeping bag compartment dividers off packs, etc. However, the market was still overwhelmingly traditional, and a lot of the "cottage" industries hadn't come along yet. So, while I might be able to reduce the pack's weight by a pound, it was still a 6-pound pack. I went to a tarp-and-bivy setup that "only" weighed three and a half pounds - but replaced my 5-pound, 2-person tent (there weren't many solo tents back then - and they weighed 4 pounds.) There were no reliable canister stoves or titanium pots (and no pots smaller than a quart and a half), so I took my Whisperlite and only one pot (no cup) to save another pound.

As time went on, the market changed. Solo tents, weighing less than 3 pounds, appeared; one-quart titanium pots and stoves like the Snow Peak and Pocket Rocket showed up. Packs became simpler, and lighter - much lighter; a 3 or 4 pound pack is now considered "heavy" by most standards. Manufacturers began to print labels on the material, rather than sewing in a separate label. Companies like TarpTent, Gossamer Gear, and Six Moon Designs got started to specifically address the needs of those who wanted gear that was lighter yet.

All of the books on backpacking presumed a traditional load, and so these boards were where the techniques and details of how to pack light were found. Now, all of the books have at least a chapter on "Going Light," and many of our once-fringe techniques are now mainstream practices recommended in the books.

So, much that was discussed in the early days on this board are now part of the mainstream - and therefore are no longer discussed as thoroughly as they once were. One of the big changes I've noticed is that we spend more time helping folks use lightweight techniques to solve specific problems: how to compensate for inevitable aging (bad knees and such), or how to use these techniques to go farther/longer in more comfort, or how to get kids hooked on the outdoors.