Originally Posted By JPete

Fourth, welcome to the forum, just be careful to avoid becoming a "gearhead" like the rest of us. See the gear lists on the home page to get a start on understanding the light weight approach to backpacking.

Best, jcp

And thus, a gear head was born xP

I agree with JPete. You will begin to love the outdoors and become hooked. I am in the same position as you at the moment. I am visiting my family for the summer and down here in NJ and my friends are mostly city folk who don't think twice about the outdoors. But where I go to college, Maine, all my friends enjoy the woods. So right now for the season I have to go it alone, which I have never done before. I have done a ton of day hikes in the woods and feel comfortable. I think its time for me to step it up and do an over nighter(s) alone. Not sure if you are in the USA, but if you were to do the PCT, CT, or the AT I bet by this time of year you will certainly not be alone at the campsites. If I can scrape up some cash I think I am going to do a part of Pennsylvania's AT.

Good luck, and like JP said, don't get too wrapped up in gear. Especially if you get in to hammocks 0.o (boom head explodes)